Dying drop cloth (coloring) is it easy?
Maybe you thought about that question when you saw there was a drop cloth in the house.
Table of Contents
What is Drop Cloth?
But, exactly what is drop cloth?
Drop cloth is a sheet (cloth or plastic) used by a painter to cover the floor and furniture. Drop cloth will protect against substances that are difficult to remove.
What is a Drop Cloth Made Of?
Drop cloth is usually made of fabric or plastic.
Of the two types of drop cloth, the more commonly used are fabrics. And, a fairly popular fabric is canvas drop cloth.
Canvas drop cloth can not only be used as a protector for flooring and furniture only. However, this material can be used to decorate the house.
We can use it as curtains, pillowcases, covers for mattresses, and more.
But, since the color of the canvas drop cloth is only one, it will certainly be monotonous once using it as a DIY home decor.
One way to outsmart it is to color it.
How to Dying Drop Cloth
Then, how to color canvas drop cloth?
Follow the steps below.
- Canvas drop cloth (wash and dry before use)
- Fabric dye with various colors (can use Rit Dye)
How to Dying Drop Cloth
To dye the drop cloth, on the packaging of Rit Dye, there are instructions. It’s a good idea to read the instructions properly.
There are several methods that can be used to dye drop cloth. Can use gas stove, washing machine, and so on.
But, now we’re going to try to use it quite easily. Be sure to perform the following steps in a safe place. So, in case of problems, the dye will not stain around.
- First, prepare a container large enough to accommodate canvas drop cloth.
- Pour hot water into the container until it meets half of it.
- Prepare another container, dissolve the prepared dye.
- Then pour the dye into a container filled with hot water.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Dissolve the salt, then pour into the first container.
- Stir again until well mixed.
- Using gloves, insert the canvas drop cloth into the dye solution.
- Make sure all fabrics are submerged in a dye solution.
- Let stand for a few hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- After getting the desired color, rinse the drop cloth using running water until clean.
- When you are done, you need to wash the drop cloth using mild laundry detergent.
- Rinse, rinse and dry.
You can already use canvas drop cloth for pillow covers, couch, curtains, napkins, table runners, and various other functions.
When you’re done coloring, measure the length of the window. Then, cut and sew the drop cloth that has been colored according to the size. Install as a beautiful and nice window cover.
Read: Clean shower curtain
You can color the drop cloth made from canvas well. After that, canvas drop cloth can be used to make various kinds of crafts.
Yes, you can color the drop cloth made of canvas (100% cotton).
We can make tie dye canvas drop cloth like when making tye dye t-shirt. Only, the materials used are slightly different.
Washing the colored drop cloth should use mild laundry detergent. This prevents the given color from fading.
You can use colors according to what you like. But, it would be nice to choose neutral color, blue gray, light gray, yellow, black, and other colors.